Hour of Code Assignment (15 pts)
This week you will complete an assignment at Code.org. This assignment is a project that is part of the Hour of Code movement created to encourage an interest in programming. You will complete a project called Star Wars: Building a Galaxy with Code that consists of 15 tasks called puzzles. You will earn 1 point for each task completed for a total of 15 points. The project should take approximately 1 to 2 hours to complete and requires no previous programming experience.
Step 1: Create Your Code.org Account
- Navigate to this site to join the Code.org section that has been created for this class: http://studio.code.org/join/XGKYJY
- In Display Name enter your name, using the name SMC has for your enrollment.
- In Email enter your SMC email account.
- In Password create a 6-character password and write it down.
- In Password confirmation reenter your password.
- It is optional to enter the Gender field.
- Click Register and you will enter your course section in code.org.
Step 2: Complete the Tasks (Puzzles)
- Once you enter your course section, click View Course to the right of “Star Wars: Building a Galaxy with Code” to begin working on the assignment. NOTE: There are other courses available below your course assignment that are not required.
- Click Try Now to begin.
- Watch the videos to understand how to complete each task.
- You have completed this assignment when all 15 tasks are successfully accomplished. Your instructor will login to the Code.org site to see your progress and your final score on this assignment will be recorded in the Gradebook here at our class website.
HINT: Professor Gina Jerry has prepared some short instructional videos that you may find helpful. They can be viewed at: http://www.3cmediasolutions.org/playlists/844?key=3b487c385575c69b21842162336ff039013b1cb8&i=3
Tips for Navigating Your Code.Org Course Section
To go back to the course section home page, edit your account; or sign out, click Hi YOUR NAME in the upper right corner then:
- select Code Studio to return to the home page.
- select My account to edit your account details (NOTE: do NOT edit “Are you a student or teacher?”).
- select Sign out to exit Code.org. Note that your progress is saved as you complete tasks.
Code.org supports multiple languages. You can select your preferred language by clicking the language button located in the bottom left corner of the screen.
To Continue Working Later:
- To reenter your course section, go to Code.org and click Sign In. Enter your email and password.
- If you have forgotten your password, click “Forgot your password?” on the right side of the sign in screen. A link will be sent to your email for you to reset your password.
- Click Continue to continue with your last step. Or View Course to see the results of your progress.
Academic Honesty Policy:
Students found cheating on any part of an assignment will receive no points for the total assignment. This includes sharing work or copying sections of another student's work. Regardless of the circumstances, both students involved will be considered at fault. The instructor may report in writing the academic dishonesty incident to the campus disciplinarian to be placed in the student’s disciplinary file. See the course syllabus and SMC's Code of Academic Conduct for details.